Wednesday 25 February 2009

Things Wives Write in 1917

But you must have it taken, dear. It'll be something for the boy to show in after years - a father in the Great War.
********************************
Whoever thought you'd be a soldier? I shall never forget the first day I saw you in khaki!
********************************
I aired your overcoat today - I doubt if it will fit you when you come home!
********************************
I never closed my eyes that night I got your letter saying you were booked for next draft.
********************************
It's silly, I know, but I always dread to open the papers in the morning.
********************************
Tom always adds to his prayers, "And please, God, let daddy bring home a German helmet!"
********************************
Home Chat magazine. March 24, 1917. (Not strictly Victorian women... but I felt it should be included).

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are very welcome, but if you need a reply, please do email me instead because sometimes I am very busy and may miss a comment or two.